Tom impresses as rain curtails pre-season clash


Tom Lammonby continued his good pre-season form but the rain was the only winner on the third and final day of this three-day match against University of Exeter at the Cooper Associates County Ground,

The Somerset opener, who made 4o in the first innings, came within a whisker of his hundred today as he demonstrated his full array of shots throughout the morning session.

Unfortunately for both teams, the weather prevented a result in what was a keenly contested encounter.

Somerset resumed on 153 for five, a lead of 232, as Lammonby and Ben Green, whose partnership was worth 64 at the resumption of play, picked up from where they left off last night and found the gaps in the field with encouraging regularity.

Green brought up his 50 from 41 balls and shortly afterwards the partnership reached three figures.

The pair took their side past the 200-mark before Lammonby retired out on 97 at at 223 for six. The match proved to be a useful exercise for the Somerset opener who amassed 137 runs across his two innings.

Green advanced to 88 and when Tom Banton was dismissed for seven, caught behind off Tom Draca, Somerset declared on 242 for seven.

Draca was the pick of the bowlers, claiming four for 64 from 12.4 overs.

Chasing 322 for victory, University of Exeter had reached eight for one at lunch. Will Routledge (4) was the batter to fall after edging Lewis Gregory to Tom Lammonby in the slips.

After the break, Dylan Church (5) was lbw to Ned Leonard at 12 for two, but Johnny Connell and Charlie Mumford shared a half century stand for the third wicket before the former fell to a diving catch by Leonard on the boundary off the bowling of Aldridge.

The hundred came up in the 28th over and a further six runs had been added to the total when Charlie Mumford looked to take Shoaib Bashir on and skipped down the track. He tried to give it the treatment but was bowled by the England spinner for 32.

Rain began to fall just after 3pm so tea was taken with the scoreboard showing the visitors on 127 for four. With the rain only increasing in ferocity, play was abandoned as a draw shortly before 4pm.