Tom and Tom fight back but Warwickshire end day two on top


Tom Banton and Tom Abell helped Somerset to fight back on the second day of this Vitality County Championship match against Warwickshire at the Cooper Associates County Ground, but the visitors will certainly feel that they are in the box seat after Oliver Hannon-Dalby claimed two late wickets in two balls.

The pair came together with their side in a spot of bother on 57 for three and shared a century stand to get Somerset back in the game after the visitors had posted a first innings total of 412. However, after Banton’s departure for 78, those two late wickets for Hannon-Dalby gave Warwickshire the upper hand as Somerset finished the day on 208 for six, trailing by 204.

Resuming on 373 for eight, Warwickshire added six runs to their overnight total from the opening over which was bowled by Migael Pretorius before the heavens opened and sent the players and officials scurrying from the field of play to seek the shelter of the Andrew Caddick Pavilion.

An early lunch was taken and play didn’t resume until 1:10pm.

Michael Booth and Michael Burgess advanced the visitor’s score past 400 before the former edged Pretorius to Abell at first slip at 408 for nine to give Somerset’s overseas all-rounder his fifth wicket of the innings.

Kasey Aldridge accounted for Burgess, who was caught by Jack Leach at long-on, for an excellent 147, which was the cornerstone of Warwickshire’s total.

The Somerset reply started in exuberant fashion with Andy Umeed dispatching the second delivery of the second over back over Hannon-Dalby’s head for six. Unfortunately for Umeed and for his side, he then fell to the fourth ball of the over, edging a low catch to Jacob Bethell at fourth slip.

Tom Kohler-Cadmore also looked to attack at every opportunity and had moved to 22 off 35 balls when caught behind pushing forward to a good length ball from Booth. At the other end, Chris Woakes completed a seven-over opening spell costing just 15 runs.

When Tom Lammonby, on 23, edged Ed Barnard to wicketkeeper Burgess Somerset were 57 for three and under pressure. However, Banton clubbed Booth over the short extra cover boundary for six as he and Abell saw their side to 80 for three at tea.

An extended final session of 43 overs began with Banton playing some delightful shots and bringing up the fifty partnership from 88 balls with a sweetly-timed back-foot shot through the covers for four off Hannon-Dalby.

Abell was largely content to play a supporting role as the stand blossomed. Banton reached a 77-ball half-century with a single of left-arm spinner Bethell, having hit five fours and a six.

The pair settled for accumulating steadily and passed the 100 partnership mark from 174 balls.

A late cut off Barnard for his third four took Abell to fifty off 110 balls, and the pair looked set to prosper in the early evening sunshine.

However, Hannon-Dalby found the outside edge of Banton’s bat for the only slip, Rob Yates, to pouch a low chance with five overs remaining in the day. Hannon-Dalby then struck two more quick blows to remove Josh Davey lbw and Jack Leach caught behind next ball, as Warwickshire ended the day on an unexpected high.