Lewis claims four on day two


New Somerset Club Captain, Lewis Gregory claimed four wickets after play finally got underway in this Vitality County Championship Division One clash against Kent at the Spitfire Ground.

After electing to bowl on day two after the first day was completely washed out, the visitors dismissed their hosts for 284. Gregory was the pick of the attack, finishing with four for 66. Joey Evison top scored for Kent with 85 whilst Harry Finch added 54 to help their side recover from 114 for five.

Unfortunately, bad light brought a halt to proceedings with 23 overs remaining before the Somerset reply could get underway.

Kent scored just 17 off the first ten overs from Josh Davey and Jake Ball, but when Gregory came on from the Nackington Road End the batters were initially able to cut loose.

Tawanda Muyeye took 24 balls and 39 minutes to get off the mark, but once the opening pair had been seen off he hit 33 from 55 balls before Gregory bowled him. Gregory struck again in his next over when he had Kent captain Daniel Bell-Drummond caught at second slip by Kasey Aldridge and Jack Leaning then went for a golden duck James Rew caught behind down the leg side off Ned Leonard.

Matt Renshaw had Joe Denly caught by Gregory for 19 with the final ball of the session to leave Kent on 110 for four at lunch.

Compton tried to hook Gregory and was caught on the boundary by Leonard for 32 but Kent responded with a partnership of 93, Evison joining Finch to take the hosts past the 200 mark.

Kasey Aldridge then tilted the equation back in Somerset’s favour with two wickets in the 53rd over. Finch drove him to Tom Banton at mid-wicket and he then had Wes Agar caught for a duck in the slips by Gregory.

Sensing he might run out of partners, Evison went on the attack, swiping Renshaw for six over cow corner. He was dropped by Tom Lammonby, off Aldridge, on 51, but Goldsworthy then claimed his maiden First Class wicket when he bowled Nathan Gilchrist for just two, leaving Kent on 235 for eight at tea.

The hosts countered with a stand of 61 for the ninth wicket which was only broken when Evison tried to drive Goldsworthy, who deflected the ball on to the stumps at the non-strikers end and ran out Matt Parkinson for 25.

Evison then fell on the deep square leg boundary when he tried to hook Gregory and was caught by Goldsworthy.

Somerset’s openers Tom Lammonby and Sean Dickson made it as far as the middle when the umpires took a light reading and suspended play. With no improvement looking likely, the evening session was abandoned at 6.05pm.