Henry leads fightback on day one


Matt Henry once again showed his quality as the Somerset bowlers were forced to fightback as Surrey had the better of the opening day of this LV= Insurance County Championship match at the Cooper Associates County Ground.

The New Zealander has been outstanding for the Club since arriving in May and he underlined his class today by claiming three wickets for 26 as the home bowlers battled back after Somerset were dismissed for 170 despite winning the toss.

After Somerset’s comprehensive victory over Northamptonshire last week, confidence and optimism were high amongst a crowd in excess of 2000 in Taunton today, but Surrey showed why they are currently top of the Division One table.

Tom Lawes was the pick of the Brown Caps’ attack, claiming four for 41 whilst Tom Kohler-Cadmore top scored for Somerset with 59.

By stumps, Surrey were 138 for four, trailing by 32 runs with Tom Latham unbeaten on 67.

A day dominated by seam bowling began when Tom Lammonby clipped a Dan Worrall half-volley off his legs to Jamie Smith at mid-wicket with just 12 runs on the board. Tom Abell then feathered a leg side delivery from Lawes through to wicketkeeper Ben Foakes to make it 32 for two. With nine runs added, Sean Dickson, on 25, fended at a delivery from Lawes and edged to Latham at second slip.

Kohler-Cadmore hit off-spinner Will Jacks back over his head for six to bring up the Somerset 50, but soon George Bartlett became a third victim for Lawes, caught by Jacks at third slip.

With his side in trouble, James Rew took 32 balls to get off the mark and was unbeaten on four at lunch, which was taken at 85 for four, Kohler-Cadmore having moved to 32.

Hopes of a substantial stand between the pair ended soon after the interval when Rew got a top edge aiming to pull a short ball from Jordan Clark and skied a simple catch to Foakes. Kasey Aldridge helped Kohler-Cadmore add 47 for the sixth wicket, contributing 18 before edging Jamie Overton to Latham in the slips.

Kohler-Cadmore’s innings ended when he aimed a big shot at a wide delivery from Lawes and dragged the ball onto his stumps. The former Yorkshire player had faced 101 balls, striking seven fours and a six.

Craig Overton glanced his first ball from twin brother Jamie to fine leg for four, provoking two unfriendly short balls, the second of which he gloved through to Foakes. Henry managed a few belligerent blows before falling for 16 and tea was taken when Somerset were all out after Ben Green was bowled by a full ball from Worrall

Somerset needed an early breakthrough in the final session and that’s exactly what they got.

Without a run on the board, Surrey skipper Rory Burns edged a defensive shot off Henry to Overton at second slip. The same combination then accounted for Dom Sibley with the total on 15.

Smith narrowly avoided the same fate when, on four, he edged just short of Overton, as Henry finished a superb opening spell with two for 16.

Latham and Smith shared a stand of 63 which was ended by Ben Green’s third ball of the day. He was introduced to the attack and struck almost immediately by having Smith caught at mid-wicket by Lammonby, stretching out his left arm.

Henry’s return to the attack saw him strike again. He bowled an absolute beauty to Foakes which was of a perfect length and just nipped away and the Surrey ‘keeper could only edge it behind to leave the visitors on 95 for four.

Latham went on to make an 83-ball fifty, well supported by Jacks, as Surrey closed the day the happier of the two sides.