Defeat on day three despite Rew landmark


James Rew became the first batter to pass the 1000-run mark in Division One this season, but that was the only highlight for Somerset as Surrey wrapped up a comprehensive victory on day three of this LV= Insurance County Championship match at the Cooper Associates County Ground.

The 19-year-old Somerset ‘keeper/batter once again demonstrated why he is held in such high regard, but the visitors strengthened their grip at the top of the table by securing a 10-wicket win in Taunton, claiming 22 points to the hosts three.

After rain curtail proceedings yesterday evening, Somerset began their second innings at the start of play, trailing by 198 runs. Unfortunately, for those who braved the Taunton wind, the hosts were dismissed for 226. Jordan Clark was the pick of the Surrey bowlers, taking four for 36.

Rew contributed 55, while Craig Overton smashed five sixes in a defiant 70 not out, but the visitors were set a target of just 29 which they reached in 8.3 overs.

With only four balls bowled, the morning session was interrupted by rain. When play resumed at 12.10pm, any hope Somerset had getting back into the game began to fade.

With the score on 12, Sean Dickson edged Clark to first slip where Dom Sibley made no mistake. Four overs later Tom Lammonby drove at a wide delivery from Clark and Will Jacks held a good low two-handed catch. It was 23 for three when George Bartlett was lbw to Clark. With only five runs added, Tom Kohler-Cadmore directed a sharp catch to Jamie Overton at backward point off Dan Worrall.

Clark finished his opening spell with figures of three for 15 from six overs.

Tom Abell steadied the ship and exhibited sound shot selection and by lunch, which was taken at 46 for four, the Somerset skipper had struck four boundaries in moving to 27.

The afternoon session saw Rew and Abell progress their partnership to 64 with few alarms, the prolific teenager reaching a four-figure run tally for the summer when moving to 21 with a single to cover off Worrall. However, Clark returned at the Marcus Trescothick Pavilion End to pin Abell leg before for 46 with a yorker, and at 92 for five Somerset still required 106 to make Surrey bat again.

Kasey Aldridge edged a short wide ball from Tom Lawes to third slip where Jacks took an excellent diving catch. Rew continued to be content to accumulate quietly without resorting to big shots until, with his score on 31, he effortless lifted a ball from Lawes over deep backward square for six.

Ben Green was caught behind looking to drive a full-length delivery from Jamie Overton to make it 130 for seven before Rew went to fifty for the seventh time this season, off 96 balls, with four fours and a six.

At tea, Somerset were 139 for seven, still trailing by 59. They had added just six runs when Rew top-edged a pull shot off Gus Atkinson and skied a catch to fine leg. He had faced 106 balls in another mature contribution.

The end looked nigh as Atkinson quickly followed up by sending back Matt Henry, lbw to a yorker, but Overton had other ideas. He launched a savage attack with powerful pulls and drives that saw him take 20 off an Atkinson over and dominate a last wicket stand of 77 in 13 overs with Shoaib Bashir.

However, once his entertaining knock was ended with the dismissal of Bashir, Surrey wrapped up victory just before 6.15pm.