Andy stars with bat and ball but Somerset fall short


Another fine innings from Andy Umeed couldn’t prevent Somerset from defeat at the hands of Glamorgan in this dramatic Metro Bank One Day Cup clash at the Cooper Associates County Ground.

The Somerset opener continued his fine form in the competition with another beautifully executed hundred and also claimed his first List A wickets but he was upstaged by former Somerset batter Eddie Byrom, whose maiden List A century helped the visitors to a two-wicket victory.

The home side posted 298 for seven after Somerset skipper, Sean Dickson won the toss and elected to bat first. Umeed scoring 116 off 136 balls, with nine fours and three sixes whilst Ben Kellaway was the pick of the Glamorgan attack with three for 49. In reply, the visitors made 301 for eight from 47.1 overs, Byrom striking 108 from 103 deliveries on the ground where he launched his county career. Kiran Carlson contributed 75 to a third-wicket stand of 142, while Billy Root hit 74 not out.

Umeed and George Thomas took the hosts to 50 after seven overs. The opening partnership was eventually worth 60, Thomas was the man to go for 41 when he was caught at mid on by Ruaidhri Smith off the bowling of Tim van der Gugten.

Umeed and Lewis Goldsworthy then put together a century stand in good time, Umeed moving to a stylish half-century off 66 balls, and Goldsworthy lending solid support as they took the score to 173 in the 32nd over.

When Goldsworthy holed out to deep square off Zain-ul-Hassan his side looked set to make well in excess of 300. However, Carlson began Glamorgan’s fightback by running out James Rew and Kellaway had begun a telling spell from the Marcus Trescothick Pavilion End.

The young spinner sent back Sean Dickson, Umeed and Josh Thomas, preventing a late acceleration and keeping his side well in the game.

It was left to Danny Lamb (41) and George Bartlett (35 not out) to bolster Somerset’s score.

Glamorgan’s initial response was to lose two wickets in as many overs, Sam Northeast bowled between bat and pad by Jack Brooks and Colin Ingram brilliantly caught by wicketkeeper Rew, diving full length, off Ned Leonard to make it 13 for two.

However, Byrom and Carlson were soon counter-attacking with a flurry of boundaries, Carlson greeting the introduction of J.T.Langridge with a six over backward point in the left-arm seamer’s first over. The Glamorgan pair took the total to 88 for two after ten. Carlson raced to fifty off 29 balls and Byrom soon followed, off 38 deliveries. The hundred stand occupied less than 12 overs as the visitors picked up the pace.

With the score on 155, Carlson carelessly cut a catch to Goldsworthy at point off Lamb. Byrom though continued on his way and was on 80 when a shower interrupted play at 185 for three, with Glamorgan needing less than five an over.

The rain soon passed and an edge to third man for his 16th four took Byrom to his first List A hundred off 94 balls as Glamorgan closed in rapidly on their target, Root contributing a valuable 44-ball half-century.

Byrom was finally bowled by leg-spinner Umeed, his first List A wicket. Kellaway, Alex Horton, ul Hassan and van der Gugten fell cheaply in the closing stages as Umeed finished with three for 31, but Root stayed calm to see Glamorgan home.