Somerset Disabled CC beat Cornwall in thriller

Somerset took to the road for their first away game of the 2024 season, heading down to Cornwall.

The weather was grey, cloudy and wet, delaying the start of the game by 30 minutes.

Somerset lost the toss and were put in to bat.

It was the job of Kris Martin and Toby Jones to open and see what they could do before the weather changed. With Somerset starting quickly, the first wicket fell in the seventh over with Somerset on 50. Toby Jones was removed, bowled by T Tickner. Dexter Adams was next in but was removed after four balls, caught by T Tickner off L Roderick.

Charlie May now came to the middle and brought a strong partnership.

It was in the 19th over when a smart cut for four by Martin brought up his first 50 for Somerset in League fixtures, retiring on 53 not out.

The captain George Fox-Reid was now to join May in the middle.

It was in the final over that Somerset brought up 200 runs on the board and with Charlie being VERY close to his 50 and two balls remaining, a great attempt at a 6 was palmed down by the fielder and only a single could be taken leaving Charlie at the non-strikers end and on 49 with one ball remaining in the game.

George was bowled by L Roderick finishing on 11 and the innings was complete. Somerset on 203 for three from 30 overs.

Somerset took to the field to defend this total with Colin Hancock and Charlie May to open the attack.

J Perry was the first batter to be removed for a golden duck. A great catch by Kris Martin off Colin Hancock’s bowling gave Somerset the breakthrough early with Cornwall on 11.

Cameron Harris found the next wicket bowling B Mailes as the score sat at 56 for two. It wasn’t long before T Tickner was removed by some smart bowling by Paul Lewis and quick hands by skipper George Fox-Reid as the spinner brought the batter out of their crease and quick hands by George took the stumping.

It was Lewis who struck next as D Herriott was removed after another catch by Cameron Harris. The score now 96 for four.

Cameron, not wanting to be left out, removed B Proud and with Charlie returning to the attack from the other end he then found his stride and removed J Raven and L Roderick, with the help of the catching hands of Toby Jones. The score was now 159 for seven.

This is where Somerset had to dig deep.

The game finished on the final ball with a run out by Ben Hallows and Cornwall finishing on 200 for eight.

A tough game in hard conditions for both sides and a second win for Somerset on the bounce!

Match report by Somerset’s Paul Lewis